The Sanctuary of Bom Jesus do Monte, located in the parish of Tenões, is dedicated to Senhor Bom Jesus and is constituted by an architectural-landscaped set composed by a church, the staircase where the Via Sacra do Bom Jesus is developed, a garden area Bom Jesus, some hotels and a funicular.
His peculiar disposition was the inspiration for other constructions, such as the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Remedies in Lamego and the Sanctuary of Bom Jesus de Matosinhos in the city of Congonhas in Minas Gerais, Brazil.
It is classified as Property of Public Interest.
It is believed that the primitive occupation of this site dates back to the beginning of the 14th century when someone will have erected a cross on the top of Mount Espinho. In the year 1373 a hermitage is already mentioned in the place, under the invocation of the Holy Cross. This hermitage will have been attached to the parish of Tenões.
Local of devotion and pilgrimage of the people of the region of Braga, in 1494 was erguida a second hermitage. A third hermitage was erected in 1522.
In 1629 a group of devotees constituted the Confraternity of Bom Jesus do Monte, being built a chapel where was placed an image of Christ Crucified, besides houses for shelter of the pilgrims, and the first chapels of Passos of the Passion, in the form of small niches.
From 1722, the then Archbishop of Braga, D. Rodrigo de Moura Teles, conceived and initiated a great project that would lead to the present Sanctuary.
This church was designed by the architect Carlos Amarante, by order of the then Archbishop of Braga, D. Gaspar de Bragança, to replace the previous one, erected by D. Rodrigo de Moura Teles. His works began on June 1, 1784, and were completed in 1811.
The churchyard, also designed by Amarante, features eight statues representing characters who intervened in the condemnation, passion and death of Christ.
The church has a plant in the shape of a Latin cross, constituting one of the first neoclassical buildings in the country. Its façade is flanked by two towers, surmounted by a triangular pediment.