The Cathedral of Braga is located in the parish of the Cathedral and is the seat of the bishopric founded, according to tradition, by St. James the Greater who here left his first disciple, St. Peter of Rates. Due to this apostolic origin it is considered Sacred Primal Basilica of the Iberian Peninsula, and its Archbishop, Primate of the Spain. It has its own liturgy, the Bracaran liturgy.
This is one of the most important Romanesque temples in the country. Here you will find the tombs of Henry of Burgundy, Count of Portugal and his wife, Teresa of Leon, the country of D. Afonso Henriques.
Its better documented history dates back to the work of the first bishop, D. Pedro de Braga, and corresponds to the restoration of the Episcopal See in 1070, which preserves few vestiges.
In 1128 a building of five chapels was begun at the head of the church, on the initiative of Archbishop D. Paio Mendes, partially destroyed by the earthquake of 1135. Respecting the architectural canons of the Benedictine cloneans, the works were directed by Nuno Paio.
In 1268 the works were not yet completed. The building continued to be modified with some artistic interventions, the Galilee being built on the façade by D. Jorge da Costa in the early years of the 16th century and later completed by D. Diogo de Sousa.
In 1688 the whole frontier was modified to the baroque taste, having also executed the zimbório that illuminates the cruise.
It has been classified as a National Monument since 1910.