Custom Search

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Visit the Monument to Father Joseph Coelho Barbosa - Oliveira do Douro (Vila Nova de Gaia)

Visit the Romanesque Chapel Quebrantões - Oliveira do Douro (Vila Nova de Gaia)

Quebrantões Romanesque Chapel, located in the Town of Oliveira do Douro, is owned by the Earls of Campo Belo since 1483. This religious building is composed of a perfect arc around that has the family crest for Milk and a vertex of the water with a rustic cross. Inside we can see a picture of eighteenth-century polychrome stone of Our Lady.

Visit Pier Areinho - Oliveira do Douro (Vila Nova de Gaia)

Visit the Aqueduct of Serra do Pilar - Oliveira do Douro (Vila Nova de Gaia)

The Aqueduct of Serra do Pilar, located in the Town of Oliveira do Douro, is eighteenth-century building, also known as "Aqueduct Sardão"and was built in 1720 by José Leitão Benedict in order to carry water from a spring in Vilar de Swallow, for his palace of Quinta do Sardão. The aqueduct consists of twenty-three arches full and large, supported by tall pillars of different heights, following the uneven terrain.

Visit the Church of St Kitts - Mafamude (Vila Nova de Gaia)

Visit the Old Fountain - Mafamude (Vila Nova de Gaia)

Monday, May 30, 2011

Visit Praia da Madalena (Vila Nova de Gaia)

Praia da Madalena, located in the Town of Magdalene, has a huge stretch of beach and its waters can find rocky areas.
The wooden walkways that protect the dunes and the small stream that runs through there, are an invitation to take long walks to appreciate the scenery.

Visit Pedreira Madalena (Vila Nova de Gaia)

Visit Dam Crestuma / Lever

Dam Crestuma / Lever is located in the Town of Lever, the Douro River basin. Its construction was completed in 1985.
It has a height of 65 m above the foundation and a length of 470 m. crowning The installed capacity of electricity generation is 108 MW.

Visit the beach Francelos - Gulpilhares

Francelos Beach, located on Gulpilhares, presents an extensive sandy beach surrounded by dunes. It has a bar / restaurant with terrace on the beach that serves all kinds of meals.

Visit the Gulpilhares Laundry

Visit the Church of Gulpilhares

Visit the Farmer Statue - Gulpilhares

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Visit the Statue of Salvador Brandão - Gulpilhares

Visit the Chapel of Gulpilhares

Visit the Monastery of San Salvador - Grijó

The Monastery of San Salvador, located in the Town of Grijó, was founded in the year 922 and was expanded in the late eleventh century. Over time, this old monastery of the Canons Regular of St. Augustine had undergone substantial changes in its architectural profile.
Its facade is modest, consisting of a porch with three round arches based on pilasters, surmounted by niches containing sculptures stony S. Peter and St. Paul, with a facade topped by a pediment. At the base of the front develops a feature of mannerist balcony, while the left side rises, separated from the body of the facade, a disproportionate bell tower.
The interior has a Latin cross plan and the body of a single nave, covered by a vault reinforced by arches authors/cre- ators. Before the ship a hall decorated with tiles enxaquetados, from the chapter room manufacturing sixteenth century. The craft shows six side chapels, which are part of the stage setting compositions gilded baroque altarpiece.
The transept, separated from the nave by a railing in black wood, is covered by a ribbed vault and has two balanced Mannerist carved altarpieces. The bow of the cruise has a niche housing a statue of Christ the Savior and the Pelican, a symbol of selflessness.
The chancel was completed in 1626 and is covered by decorated with coffered barrel vault. The walls are covered with carpet tiles, with a standard seventeenth-century baroque. In the background it must be constituted by the soft huge gilded reredos Johannine, which was added in 1795 monumental canvas of Peter of Alexandria. Ostentatious baroque stalls eighteenth century paneled in black wood is complemented by several hagiographic paintings, works of authorship D. Diogo - canon of this Augustinian monastery.
The sacristy is covered with paneled ceiling and shows its walls covered with ornamental carpets century tiles.
Something disproportionate are the galleries of the cloister of the sixteenth century, due to the greater height of the top. The two floors are the rhythmic elegance of an Ionic colonnade, while the central space of the cloister is marked by a fountain Mannerist. The exterior of the upper galleries is lined with tile panels with pictures of the seventeenth century hagiographic, which can break the austere simplicity of the lines of the mannerist cloister.
The northern gallery of the cloister has a small arcosolium housing the magnificent tomb of Queen Rodrigo Sanchez, son of D. Sancho and Mary Pais Ribeira - infant who died in combat in the year 1245, this monastery nearby. Poorly preserved, his coffin is a beautiful work of Romanesque sculpture, made ​​of white limestone Ançã in themiddle of thirteenth century.

Visit the Church of Grijó

The Church of Grijó has tiled walls of the seventeenth century altarpiece carved chairs, black wood and good paintings.

Visit the Chapel of St. Anthony - Grijó

Visit the Monastery of the Aqueduct Grijó

The Aqueduct of the Monastery of Grijó is arch structure carrying water to some of the convent. Ends in a fountain with a pond, inside the fence.

Visit the Parish Church of Crestuma

Visit the Shrine of Our Lady of Schoenstatt - Canidelo (Vila Nova de Gaia)

Visit the Nature Reserve Cabedelo - Canidelo (Vila Nova de Gaia)

Local Nature Reserve located in the Town of Cabedelo Canidelo includes the area of ​​the former bird sanctuary, established in late 2007, which was appended to the beach.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Visit the Willows Beach - Canidelo (Vila Nova de Gaia)

Willows Beach, located in the Town of Canidelo, is in the form of a small bay, studded with rocks, ideal for underwater fishing. There is a beach bar and a walk along the beach, ideal for those wishing to go hiking or biking.

Visit the beach Washers - Canidelo (Vila Nova de Gaia)

Visit Windmill's Mill Farm - Canidelo (Vila Nova de Gaia)

Visit the Palace Garden - Canidelo (Vila Nova de Gaia)

Visit the Church of St. Andrew - Canidelo (Vila Nova de Gaia)

The Church of St. Andrew, located in the Town of Canidelo is simple, smooth, simple lines, but valuable in its imagery collection, with images of the century. XVII, in wood, as the patron, Saint Andrew.

Visit Foz do Douro - Canidelo (Vila Nova de Gaia)

Foz do Douro River is one of the places of great beauty in the Town of Canidelo.

Visit the Fountain of St. John - Canidelo (Vila Nova de Gaia)

The Fountain of St. John, belonging to the Town of Canidelo, is located in downtown illuminate.

Visit the Fountain of Canidelo (Vila Nova de Gaia)

Visit the Granary Canidelo (Vila Nova de Gaia)

Visit the Chapel of the Lions - Canidelo (Vila Nova de Gaia)

Friday, May 27, 2011

Visit the Chapel of St. Palo - Canidelo (Vila Nova de Gaia)

The Chapel of St. Palo, located in the Town of Canidelo, has the image of the patron, the images of Our Lady of Fatima, S. Joseph, the Infant Jesus, St. Elizabeth, which are recent and terracotta.

Visit the Chapel of St. Anthony - Canidelo (Vila Nova de Gaia)

The Chapel of St Anthony, owned by the Town of Canidelo, washing enterprise is located next to the public and the Parish Hall.
The style is popular, with good portal stonework, and windows.
The image of Saint Anthony is wood, the date of the century. XVIII (1771).

Visit the Chapel of Our Lady of Perpetual Help - Canidelo (Vila Nova de Gaia)

The Chapel of Our Lady of Perpetual Help, located in the Town of Canidelo, is of good construction, with straps and valuable on the façade of the date 1883.
The image of Our Lady of Perpetual Help, wood is valuable and should be of the century. XVIII; the other images are more recent.

Visit the Chapel of Drought Cod - Canidelo (Vila Nova de Gaia)

Visit the Solar dos Condes de Resende - Canelas

Solar dos Condes de Resende, located in the Town of cinnamon, was possibly built in the eleventh century, and formerly known as Quinta da Costa. Currently this is installed solar Documentation Centre with a library and archive of the Earls of Resende, Museum Centre of Archaeology, the Marciano Collection Azuaga and even rooms for exhibitions and events.

Visit the Church of cinnamon

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Visit the Source of St. John the Baptist - Canelas

Visit the Fifth of Knysna - Avintes

Visit River Beach Areinho - Avintes

The Areinho River Beach, located in the Town of Avintes has a very considerable stretch of beach.

Visit the Stone Bridge - Avintes

Visit the nature park of Vila Nova de Gaia - Avintes

The nature park of Vila Nova de Gaia, located in the Town of Avintes is an area of agro-forestry county, with 35 acres where they live in the wild hundreds of species of animals and plants.
The park is also a small nature reserve of fauna and flora, more than 40 species of wild birds nesting in the Park and many others visit it during the migration, from which we can highlight the Pope-flies and herons. Since the main species of mammals are the fox, weasel and genets.
The amphibians of the Park have few endemics of the Iberian Peninsula, as the salamander-Lusitanian, the Iberian frog, the newt-de-orange belly, among others.
Among reptiles the focus is on the lizard-in-water, also endemic.
At the River fever, which spans the 35-hectare nature park, also has two endemic species of fish: roach and boga-the-north.
Also part of the park facilities for recovery of wild animals found injured or held illegally in captivity, and a nursery that annually produces thousands of plants.