Custom Search

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Visit the Monastery of San Salvador - Grijó

The Monastery of San Salvador, located in the Town of Grijó, was founded in the year 922 and was expanded in the late eleventh century. Over time, this old monastery of the Canons Regular of St. Augustine had undergone substantial changes in its architectural profile.
Its facade is modest, consisting of a porch with three round arches based on pilasters, surmounted by niches containing sculptures stony S. Peter and St. Paul, with a facade topped by a pediment. At the base of the front develops a feature of mannerist balcony, while the left side rises, separated from the body of the facade, a disproportionate bell tower.
The interior has a Latin cross plan and the body of a single nave, covered by a vault reinforced by arches authors/cre- ators. Before the ship a hall decorated with tiles enxaquetados, from the chapter room manufacturing sixteenth century. The craft shows six side chapels, which are part of the stage setting compositions gilded baroque altarpiece.
The transept, separated from the nave by a railing in black wood, is covered by a ribbed vault and has two balanced Mannerist carved altarpieces. The bow of the cruise has a niche housing a statue of Christ the Savior and the Pelican, a symbol of selflessness.
The chancel was completed in 1626 and is covered by decorated with coffered barrel vault. The walls are covered with carpet tiles, with a standard seventeenth-century baroque. In the background it must be constituted by the soft huge gilded reredos Johannine, which was added in 1795 monumental canvas of Peter of Alexandria. Ostentatious baroque stalls eighteenth century paneled in black wood is complemented by several hagiographic paintings, works of authorship D. Diogo - canon of this Augustinian monastery.
The sacristy is covered with paneled ceiling and shows its walls covered with ornamental carpets century tiles.
Something disproportionate are the galleries of the cloister of the sixteenth century, due to the greater height of the top. The two floors are the rhythmic elegance of an Ionic colonnade, while the central space of the cloister is marked by a fountain Mannerist. The exterior of the upper galleries is lined with tile panels with pictures of the seventeenth century hagiographic, which can break the austere simplicity of the lines of the mannerist cloister.
The northern gallery of the cloister has a small arcosolium housing the magnificent tomb of Queen Rodrigo Sanchez, son of D. Sancho and Mary Pais Ribeira - infant who died in combat in the year 1245, this monastery nearby. Poorly preserved, his coffin is a beautiful work of Romanesque sculpture, made ​​of white limestone Ançã in themiddle of thirteenth century.

No comments:

Post a Comment