Custom Search

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Visit the Roman Villa da Serra

Visit the Garden of Adro - Sierra

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Visit the Loin Island - Sierra

Lombo Island is located in Albufeira de Castelo do Bode and belongs to the village of Serra, surrounded by a magnificent landscape where there are the necessary conditions for water sports and where you can spend pleasant moments of leisure.
It is an ideal area for fishing. A quiet place where you can take a ride on a pedal or boat, or just swim in the clear waters of the River Zêzere.

Visit the Church of Our Lady of the Assumption - Sierra

Visit the Church of Sierra

Visit the Source of St. Anthony - Sierra

Visit the Source of St. Anthony - Sierra

Visit the Chapel of St. Bartholomew - Sierra

The Chapel of St. Bartholomew, who is on the floor instead of the Mayans, the Serra Parish is a small temple village. It has an image of St. Bartholomew, who has to foot the devil, who was arrested following a violent scuffle.

Visit the Chapel of St. Andrew - Sierra

Visit the Chapel of Santa Luzia - Sierra

The Chapel of Santa Luzia Barrier, located in the Serra Parish, is a modest village temple.

Visit the Chapel of Our Lady of Conception - Serra

Visit the Chapel of levegő - Sierra

Visit Anta da Serra

Monday, June 27, 2011

Visit the Church of São Pedro de Tomar

The Church of São Pedro de Tomar is with a ship, wooden ceiling of three plans, chapel, choir columns on two sides and two side altars.
The estate of this temple, says the evidence an embroidered silk robe from the late seventeenth century, Our Lady of Pleasures.

Visit the Church of Nossa Senhora da Conceição - São Pedro de Tomar

The Church of the Immaculate Conception, located in the place of intercourse, in the Parish of San Pedro de Tomar, was inaugurated on September 8, 1981.

Visit the Santa Cruise Quotes - Take St. Peter

Visit the Chapel of Our Lady of Lourdes - St. Peter's Take

Visit the Castelo de Bode Dam - San Pedro de Tomar

The dam of Castelo de Bode is one of the most important Portuguese dams located on the outskirts of the Parish of St. Peter's Take on the Municipality of Abrantes, in Rio Zêzere
The dam of Castelo de Bode is used for water supply, such as Lisbon, power generation, defense against the full and active recreation. It is used by supporters of sports such as windsurfing, sailing, rowing, power boating and jet skiing and sport fishing (trout, bass, eels and crayfish red).
The construction of the dam began in 1945 and was given for the termination in 1951.
The dam is a concrete gravity, but with curvature. The maximum height above foundation is 115 meters.
The reservoir is located in an area of ​​average annual rainfall of 1200 mm. The full annual average flow is 2.352 billion cubic meters.

Visit Wheel Mouchão - St. John the Baptist (Tomar)

Visit the Sundial - St. John the Baptist (Tomar)

The sundial of the Church of St. John the Baptist, located in the Parish of St. John the Baptist is placed at the corner of Republic Square and Street S. John the Baptist.

Visit the Old Bridge - St. John the Baptist (Tomar)

Take The Old Bridge, located in the Parish of St. John the Baptist, was built on the beautiful River Nabão and its origins are unclear.

Visit Sebastian Standard - St. John the Baptist (Tomar)

The Standard of Sebastian, located in the Parish of St. John the Baptist (Tomar), is a high rectangular plinth, whose face on the road, you record an inscription alluding to its construction. The stem rises stepped pyramid, being crowned by a simple counting board crowned with a small spire.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Visit the Garden of the Castle of Tomar - St. John the Baptist (Tomar)

Visit the Church of St. John the Baptist (Tomar)

The Church of St. John the Baptist is the late fifteenth century and has a Manueline portal surmounted by an octagonal spire.
Inside is a pulpit carved in stone, with tiles called "Diamond Tip" and sixteenth-century paintings including a Last Supper of Gregory Lopes.
The church was classified as a National Monument in 1910.

Visit the Church of the Immaculate Conception - St. John the Baptist (Tomar)

The Church of the Immaculate Conception, located in the Parish of St. John the Baptist, has defined three aisles by Corinthian columns. It features flat gables on the façade and the transept and the Ionic entablature supported on pilasters of wedges. There is the inner harmony and domed cover with needlework.

Visit the Statue of King Gualpim Parents - St. John the Baptist (Tomar)

The Statue of King Parents Gualpim, located in the Parish of St. John the Baptist, was inaugurated in 1940. D. Gualpim Parents born in Braga in 1118. Take and died in 1195, Freire was a Knight Templar of D. Afonso Henriques and is buried in the Church of Santa Maria groves.

Visit the Convent of Christ - St. John the Baptist (Tomar)

The Convent of Christ, historical monument in the city of Tomar, located in the parish of St. John the Baptist, classified by UNESCO as World Heritage, belonged to the Knights Templar. It was founded in 1160 by the Grand Master of the Templars, gift Gualdim Parents, the Convent of Christ still has memories of these monks and knights of the heirs of his office, the Order of Christ, which made ​​this building their headquarters. It is a suburban construction, implemented on top of a hill overlooking the plain where the city extends. It is surrounded by the walls of the Castle of Tomar and the forest fence. Today is a cultural, tourist and even devotional. The architecture shares traits Romanic, Gothic, Manueline, Renaissance, Mannerist and Baroque.

Visit the Castle of Tomar - St. John the Baptist (Tomar)

The Castle of Tomar is located in St. John the Baptist Parish, is a crusader castle on the right bank of the river Nabão, which included, at the time of the Reconquista, the call line of the Tagus, along with others in the region, which will follow the style : the castles of Almourol, Idanha, Monsanto, Pombal and Zêzere.
The castle features elements of military architecture in the Romanesque, Gothic and Renaissance. It consists of a double ring of walls that delimit the primitive and the intramural town parade ground: one on a higher plane of irregular polygonal, with some curved faces, rising at the entrance of the Chapter House and ending at the Tower of Dona Catarina . Marks the Alcazaba and retains only the tank and the Keep on the inside, defensive figure introduced by the Templars in Portugal and has here his testimony earlier, another on a lower plane, connecting the eastern facade of the south part of the Rotunda Alcazaba, which corresponded to the fortified village of the Middle Ages. It also presents an irregular polygonal plan, developing wedge towards the East, finished in a large quadrangular tower, called Tower of the Queen.

Visit the Chapel of St. Lawrence - St. John the Baptist (Tomar)

The Chapel of San Lorenzo, located in the Parish of St. John the Baptist was built in the sixteenth century to commemorate the place where they joined the armies of the master of Avis and D. Nuno Alvares Pereira, in 1385, before the Battle of Aljubarrota. There is an outside panel of tiles recalls the event.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Visit the Plaza de Toros Jose Salvador - Santa Maria Olivais (Tomar)

The Bullring José Salvador, located in the Parish of St. Mary of the groves, is polygonal, with classic architectural features in the Mudejar façade and suggestions on interior decoration. Its inauguration took place in 1908.

Visit the Bridge of the archer - Santa Maria Olivais (Tomar)

The Bridge on the archers, located in the Parish of St. Mary of the groves, has three spans, reinforced concrete and prestressed with a total length of 71.5 meters and a width of 17 meters.

Visit the Church of Santa Marta - Santa Maria Olivais (Tomar)

Visit the Church of St. Mary of the groves (Tomar)

The Church of St. Mary of the groves, is situated in the parish of St. Mary of the groves on the left bank of the River Nabão. The temple, whose foundation dates from the twelfth century, was the seat of the Knights Templar in Portugal, having served as a pantheon of masters Templars. This temple, a National Monument since 1910, is one of the most emblematic examples of Gothic art in Portugal, having served as a model for churches of three ships built by the Manueline period.
The great importance of the church in medieval times is attested by the existence of a papal bull, even during the last Templar, which put the temple attached directly to the Pope and the Holy See, beyond the reach of any diocese. Later in 1455, a bull of Pope Callistus III became the mother of all churches of the discovered territories in Asia, Africa and America and being given the honor of the Cathedral.
The main façade has three bodies, which define the aisles. The central body includes gabletado the porch of four columns based on ogival archivolts capitelizadas, overwhelming him a magnificent rose window of twelve leaves three lobes. Gablete of the pediment, which involves the portal, is an engraved sign-Saimaa. In lateral bodies, separated from the core by two giants, ripping two cracks wicker three lobes and two-way mirror. The apse, flanked by giant cracks is torn by high warhead little pointed, widely that illuminate the main chapel. The south façade features a gallery run, the level of the ships, framed by Tuscan columns. In the churchyard stands a strong foundation medieval tower that serves as a bell, having the particularity to present separately from the church.
On the side of the letter, open up five chapels with stone arches sixteenth century, perfect round on pilasters with Ionic capitals. The chapels are interrelated, being lit by holes and covered with ribbed vaults, closures have different ornaments. The altars, masonry, are covered with polychrome tiles th century, with the exception of the third chapel, which is gilded. In these chapels, you can admire pictures of Santa Ana, sculpture of the late sixteenth century, St. Mary Magdalene and San Blas.
The chapel, which features a ribbed vault coverage, has two altars, and the limestone altar and the other of wood. In this chapel, admire is a sixteenth-century stone sculpture, exhibited at the altar, representing Our Lady of Milk and the renaissance of the small chest Bishop Diogo Pinheiro, sheltered under a arcosolium perfect round, with a coffered vaulted soffit and decorated with cherubs in archivolt. The side chapels, which is accessed through round arches broken, are lined with tiles of the standard type and feature masonry altars, whose front is covered with polychrome tiles. The chapel on the side of the epistle, known as the Chapel of Simon Black, has a ribbed vault tiled coverage, featuring an image of Our Lady of Conception on the altar. The chapel on the gospel is covered by a barrel vault and broken tile.
Some of the tombstones parietal, which are a bit scattered throughout the church, are noteworthy, especially that of D. Gualdim Parents and Master Martin Lawrence, both embedded in the garment of the second chapel on the epistle, the Master and D. Gil Martins, in the chapel, all of them with inscriptions in Gothic characters.