The Bullring in Beja was built on the initiative of the beja farmer Rafael António Madeira. The inaugural race was held on August 9, 1909.
Between 1936 and 1938 the bullring of Beja was closed due to poor conservation status. Reopened on August 10, 193
José Varela Crujo was named in 1988 in honor of the bejense rider that died that year, after being harvested in Campo Pequeno.